Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Adelante. Posted on June 9, 2008.

Another lesson with my regular teacher. We went non-stop for an hour.

Dissociation of the body gets to a new level. Now it is not just "body first, legs follow". The body has to twist from top to bottom gradually, first the torso, then hips follow, then legs and feet. And delay, delay, delay (I keep throwing the hips, and hence, the weight, into the step too soon). The teacher says that will make me more musical.

Now, I have been working on my forward steps in particular. Again, I have to delay, keep my weight back longer. But the "going" foot slides forward at the same time, without any weight on it. Same thing, doing paradas. Also, I have to listen for the lead always, in stops and pauses, too
Another reminder is about using the inner edges of the feet, and turning the feet outward.

In sacadas, sometimes, I throw my feet around too wide (not mention too soon). I have to aim for the collect position.

In general, as usual, I have to think "standing foot" and "being with the leader", "not going away too soon". Even more so when the music is fast.

After the lesson, I was fairly a mess, and didn't dance very well at the party later that day. I have to make a note about not blaming myself too much for not dancing well when I am tired, or when the partner is tired, unfocused, nervous, or just not doing a good job for whatever reason. It happens, and it is not necessarily my fault. And it is not at all the end of the world when the dance does not go too well.

In general, I believe, dancing goes better with everybody more or less. I feel more in control and less tense. It would be nice to make a video to see if it looks any different on the outside.

However, from time to time I have to remind myself to relax. I am getting a little too preoccupied by hard work and practice. I should just put on a nice dress and go dance carefree, sometime soon.

No comments: